Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Malaysia - A cultural country~!

If someone was to ask me, what are the perks of being a Malaysian. My answer would definitely be the unity of the different races and culture. Malaysia is one of the few countries where I believe people from different races live together harmoniously, or in this case Sarawak in particular. In Sarawak alone there are many cultures fusing together, we have Chinese, Iban, Malay, Indians, Kelabit and many more living in this state situated in the island of Borneo.

I am a Kuchingite and spend my years growing up in this lovely slow pace city. I mean if compared to Kuala Lumpur and Singapore, Kuching is a laid back city. But of course in Sarawak it is the busiest and most hectic city.

Over the years, Kuching has developed so much, one thing that has yet to change is the closeness of the people. Recently, the Muslim celebrated Hari Raya or Eid ul Fitr. After a month of fasting or Ramadan, they will celebrate it with open house and visiting of relatives. This is the holy month in the Islamic culture.

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
The delicious food, From top: Ketupat, Beef Rendang, Masak Merah, Curry Chicken, and Nasi Kuning (Yellow Rice)

This is also the time for me to catch up with my Muslim friends, as we are all busy with our work and study lives. This was the time where we do visiting and get together to share stories and laughter. Another best thing about Hari Raya Aidilfitri is the food. My friends really make good Malay food. Curry, Beef Rendang, Masak Hitam, Masak Merah, Satay is all out of this world. Not to mentioned the delicious raya cakes, thinking about it now is making my mouth water. This Hari Raya was indeed fun and meaningful and I look forward to more of it.

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Best part is catching up and having fun with friends ^^

On another issue I remember when I was young, we used to have an Indian neighbour. I remember during Deepavali they will make Muruku and give some to us. They were great neighbours, at times I go over to their house and hang out. Sighs~ those was indeed the good old days.

So that is it, one of the perks of being a Malaysian!

No comments: